[at-l] PA Ruck 2005 Food List

Here is the first list we'll start with. It will also be posted on Women Hikers & AT-Hikers. If you'd like to bring anything, email me OFFLIST at ATrailHiker@Adelphia.net  with the subject line reading: PA RUCK FOOD. Thanks!

The website Spur constructed:
http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html
***thanks Spur***

Friday night dinner (around 6:00 p.m.): Mexican, Hispanic.
Ideas: Burritos, enchiladas, rice dishes, make your own tacos, rice-n-beans, etc. Vegetarian & Meat.

Breakfast is on-your-own.  This year, I am cooking breakfast Saturday (see website schedule) for any 2004 thru-hikers and 2004 hike-completed hikers.

We had several great soups last year for Saturday lunch benefit with and without meat, and great chilies, breads.  After the morning hike, this hot food was appreciated.  Last year there were 3 soups, 1 meat chili, 1 veggie chili. The veggie chili went first, then everything else. There was not enough.

And of course, the Saturday night Pot Luck RUCKFEAST. Everyone brings something to share and we eat good.  For those that cannot cook there are other things you can bring to pitch in.  Make sure you bring your own coffee mugs, there's a few at the hostel, but not many.

Please remember-there is only ONE oven-ONE stove. There is only ONE rack in the oven. Hams, fowl, long-baking items should be cooked ahead of time. There is not much fridge space either, so it would be great if these dishes could be kept in your cooler.

The hostel has some utensils, pots, etc., but not quite enough as needed, especially at the RUCKFeast.  If you have disposable utensils, or bring yours from home-labeled, that would be helpful.  Bring your crock pot should you need to keep your food warm. If you bring a crock pot or any other electric cooking unit, BRING AN EXTENSION CORD.

As for the number of hikers, well, there isn't a count yet, but I will assume, it will be on the average of 100.  That doesn't mean you have to bring a dish for that many people, only bring what you can handle.  Per last year's Ruck menu:  pasta dishes, potato and pasta salads, and ethnic dishes did quite well.  Meat goes quickly.  Breads-not plain old white bread but sourdough, Italian, rye, etc. went extremely well.  The desserts were abundant and went quickly. We love donuts and muffins for breakfasts.

Here is a list of things that were brought last year:

Hams, meatloaf, chickens
Bean patties-who made those anyway and are you coming this year?
casseroles
specialty sausages
pasta dishes
baked beans
beef stew
beef stroganoff
taboule-hummus
Salads-green, fruit, potato, pasta
pies, cakes, cookies, any type desserts
donuts & muffins
soups & chilies for Saturday lunch benefit
Mexican & Hispanic dishes & ideas for Friday dinner
HOT SAUCE
pizzas
tomato pies brought last year by Welsh Nomad were excellent!
2 large cans of good coffee, 2 large cans of decaf
creamers/half-n-half
sugar
teas
waters
Breads, rolls
butter, oleos
napkins
HEAVY DUTY paper plates-no foam
plastic utensils
foils, plastic wrap
large garbage bags

I'm bringing an extra coffee maker.

So far this is what has been assigned:

Bean burritos for Friday night
Spicy rice dish for Friday night
Chili for Saturday lunch benefit
French and/or Italian bread loaves
Garlic Butter
1 can Maxwell House Columbian coffee
1 Large can of Cremora creamer
4 home made Danish rings

We'll post the food list several more times prior to the Ruck. Thanks!
Marsha