[at-l] Another Fund Raiser Option

Gang,
If memory serves, last year at the SoRuck the proceeds from the garage sale
went to the Camp Thornwell youth camp.  I am possibly wrong about that but
that's as I recall.  One reason most people to feel a little uncomfortable
about choosing a fund raising recipient is there are SO MANY very deserving
places where a little money will go a long way and do a lot of good...where
does one start?   That is a hard question.  The answer that works for me is
to start wherever you can and wherever you are.  Two suggestions for this
issue:  1) Find out if NOC has a favorite charity that they support that is
local and give any proceeds to them to be used where needed.  That will be
appreciated by everyone and NOC will be inclined to look favorably on the
SoRuck in the future (inspite of the previously mentioned fuddy-duddy
roasting fire to be).  or 2)  have a box at the table with ballots and if
you buy something then put the name of a worthy cause on the ballot and put
same in box.  At the Saturday evening meal, draw 3 names and have a vote.
Those are just suggestions offered in an attempt to be helpful.  I have my
ultralight asbestos pants on so let the flames begin.  :)

The nice thing about the garage sale is that everyone wins.  You get rid of
useless-to-you gear, it goes to some one who can use it for a really good
price, and some organization who really needs the help will get the
proceeds.  Oh yeah.

See you soon,
Tin Man