[at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such

Frank:

      Words of wisdom even I can recognize.  Whenever I tell people, "Yup, I'm
planning to hike the AT alright," I always add "But, ya know what the Irish say:
If ya want ta make God laugh, tell her yer plans!"

      I sort of have three scenarios in mind, only one of which involves me
actually getting to Katahdin THIS year.  But hey, it could happen.  Miracles
happen.  So let us go forth with glad hearts and a cheerful countenance, fellow
pilgrims, and see if we can't kick some mountain butt -- waddaya say?

      When are you leaving from Springer, Frank?  I hope I'll see you on the
trail.

cheers,
L -- AT Class of '05

                      "Frank Looper"
                      <mapster@charter.        To:       <at-l@backcountry.net>
                      net>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such
                      at-l-bounces@back
                      country.net

                      01/09/2005 04:58
                      PM

> Friends and neighbors:
>
>       This thread could not be more timely.   With a start date of March
14, I
> have reached the fifth level of Pre-Hike Purgatory -- you know the one
where
> you're desperately trying to get it all together, and the pile of stuff in
the
> corner keeps growing, but the backpack just sits there looking at you
saying --
> "Yo, Dude, I ain't getting any bigger, ya know, "  and you just spent
three
> whole days of your Christmas vacation planning which shelters to stay in
and how
> many miles a day and how many mail drops between Springer and Waynesboro,
and
> then you get this email that gives you what you just KNOW is the right
mileage
> per day for Georgia, and you say to yourself "FONTANA".    Now I've got to
go
> back and redo the whole thing.

You sound a lot like me this time last year. One word of advice: Quit
worrying! Well, that's two words, but you get the idea.

I over-planned everything, carried too much gear, and stressed way too much
about "getting it right." Then I started getting headaches everyday, and
came off the trail in NC. I got extremely depressed because I hadn't "got it
right." I hid out for months after I came back, partly from hurting so
bad--I still get those headaches--and partly from a misplaced sense of
embarrassment.

There is no right way except to enjoy yourself. There is no wrong way except
to worry too much.

I'm going to take off on a hike from Springer again this year. I'm not gonna
call it a thru-hike, unless I end up in Maine. That's reasonable for me,
because of the frequency of major migraines and cluster headaches that I
have. I'll get both occipital nerves blocked right before I leave, take my
meds every day, take a lot less gear, and hike until it isn't fun any more.
Not a bad idea, IMO.

90% of the folks who start don't do a thru-hike. Chances are that you and I
won't either. Does that mean that we shouldn't try? No. It just means that
it shouldn't be what it takes to brand our hikes as successful. I had a good
time last year, and I'm going to have a good time again this year.

:-)
Frank