[at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such

Good lord!
I hope you DO keep an online journal.
I'm entranced already.

Good luck, Longhaul! It will all come together. What doesn't, doesn't
matter anyway. Just cc your journal to someone else who can burn CD
copies as your go.
JournalShoe
PS I carried my digital camera's MANUAL till Damascus. Luckily, I ran
into photojournalist Notes, who taught me the digital ropes. I sent
the manual home. Look for an expert "out there."

 >> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:13:17 -0500
 >> From: Rcalkins@worldbank.org
 >> Subject: Re: [at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such
 >> To: "Leslie Booher" <lbooher@pure.net>
 >> Cc: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net, gypsy97@bellsouth.net,
 >> 	at-l@backcountry.net,	vavet1963@msn.com

 >> Friends and neighbors:
 >>
 >>       This thread could not be more timely.   With a start date of
March 14, I
 >> have reached the fifth level of Pre-Hike Purgatory -- you know the
one where
 >> you're desperately trying to get it all together, and the pile of
stuff in the
 >> corner keeps growing, but the backpack just sits there looking at
you saying --
 >> "Yo, Dude, I ain't getting any bigger, ya know, "  and you just
spent three
 >> whole days of your Christmas vacation planning which shelters to
stay in and how
 >> many miles a day and how many mail drops between Springer and
Waynesboro, and
 >> then you get this email that gives you what you just KNOW is the
right mileage
 >> per day for Georgia, and you say to yourself "FONTANA".    Now
I've got to go
 >> back and redo the whole thing.
 >>
 >>       That's where I spent the night.  The shelter of my mind was
full, so I
 >> camped out on-line at trailjournals.com.  May God bless each and
every one of
 >> you who have opened your journals, and your hearts, to those of us
struggling
 >> along toward the nirvana that lies in Maine.  Please forgive me if
I take
 >> comfort in the pain of your broken and bleeding feet, and solace
from the 40
 >> straight days and nights of rain that you endured.  The point is
that you did
 >> endure, and that should be inspiration enough.  But wait --
there's more.  There
 >> is JOY on the Trail, and love, and peace, and awe, and simple acts
of kindness
 >> that might go unnoticed back in the world but are treasured and
remembered
 >> forever out there on the trail.
 >>
 >>       Which brings me to memories.  Not just how to create them,
but how to
 >> share them and how to save them.  Being  "of a certain age", I did
not grow up
 >> with computers.  I use them, of course.  They make great
typewriters.  The keys
 >> don't stick, you never have to use white-out, and you don't end up
with hundreds
 >> of balled up sheets of paper all over the floor when you're
finally done with
 >> that paper for Ms. Truckmiller's 10 grade english class.  I like
them, I really
 >> do.  I just don't know much about them.   So I've come to worship
people who
 >> build web sites like trailjournals.com.  Only now, if I want to do
this thing
 >> right, I not only have to learn about backpacking and hiking and
filtering water
 >> and cooking on an alcohol stove, I have to learn how to use a
digital camera, a
 >> web-site journal, and (the most recent addition to that growing
pile of the
 >> stuff in the corner) a pocket mail device. (May the Saints
presarve him!!!)

 >>       Just last week I was commenting to she-who-knows-me-best-but
 >> still-loves-me about my record collection in the basement.  I
think we finally
 >> pitched the old AM/FM Radio/Stereo Record Player the last time we
moved.  The
 >> one with the adjustable speed turn-table so you could play either
33 or 45 RPM
 >> records.  I'm pretty sure we threw out her Betamax tapes of Johnny
Mathis as
 >> well, but maybe those were left over from my previous wife.  No
loss.  (I never
 >> liked Johnny Mathis much either.)  Point is, things keep changing.
   If I'm
 >> going to invest a lot of time and energy and thought in a journal,
one that I'd
 >> like to share not just now, as it's happening, but for all time,
how am I going
 >> to do that?   Best I can figure, print it out.  Several copies -
the odds are
 >> better that way.  Acid free paper is good.  But even CDs --
remember those five
 >> inch "floppys" we used to store stuff on?  Remember those Betamax
tapes....
 >> Paper.  That's the thing.  Great invention paper.  So many uses.
  Reminds me.

--
     	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/