[at-l] Long Trails

Art,

Wow, "Backpacker Chat on AOL". That brought back memories. I think Mr. Logue was moderating the room back then. I remember that discussion. Felix, do you remember that discussion?

broknspoke

Art Cloutman <art@crystalacresnh.com> wrote:
>A question for all of you:
>One of the things that continually returned to my thoughts as I was hiking
>last year was if anyone had ever compiled a list of all the "long"
>trails in the
>world. I suppose "long" varies depending on who's talking, but it seems like
>someone, Backpacker, ALDHA, someone should have a database of long trails. I
>spent some time poking around the internet looking for some kind of list
>after I got back, but couldn't find anything. I suppose it's just
>the OCD part of
>myself that would love to do all the "long" trails *in order* of some kind.
>:) But mainly I'd just like to have a list.

I remember a discussion a long time back, maybe on this list or
possibly the old Backpacker Chat Room on AOL, concerning what
constitutes a long distance hike. I remeber that Frank Logue was
involved in the discussion. And the general agreement was any hike
that required resupply was considered a long distance hike. Now at
that time one would not consider doing a resupply in 3 day intervals,
usually 8 to 10 days made more sense. Would it make sense to define
a long trail as one that would require resupply? It makes sense to
me but that would qualify a lot of trails.

Gabby "GAME04"
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman