[at-l] Re: at-l Sleeping Bag Comparisons

On Friday, January 07, 2005 1:45 PM, gypsy said:
<snip>The best hiker-gear-related advice I ever received (and took) came
from Felix:  he said to get a down, zero degree sleeping bag.</snip>

<snip>I wouldn't ever settle for a 20 degree bag of any mfr if I planned to
use it in early spring or any cold weather.</snip>

I own a 0 degree bag, but unless it is exceptionally cold, i.e. less than 10
degrees F, I roast in it. However, it is a synthetic bag, so that may be a
factor.

I found that I can stay comfortably warm in my 30 degree down bag well below
its rating if I wear expedition-weight long underwear and down booties. The
30 degree bag, FWIW, is a Marmot, but I don't recall what model.

The moral of the story: experiment and try different combinations. You may
sleep warmer or colder than other people.

-jns

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
- Steven Wright