[at-l] Sleeping Bag comparisons

Thanks for the kind words. Always surprised when
people actually find my info useful. ;-)

About 900 fill. There have been MANY bags claming 900
fill.

I question the claim and wonder if it is just
marketing hype. Like temperature ratings for bags,
there is no industrary standard for measuring fill
power. Each company does its own rating so it is hard
to cross compare different manufacturers "fill power".
As someone else noted on another hiking forum:

" I have noticed a tendency for the numbers to creep
upward over the years, which makes me wonder if there
is a certain amount of hype involved, since geese
haven't changed a whole lot in the same time frame."

Guess what I am trying to say is beware of fill power
claims once you start getting in the 800-900 range.

In my opinion here is a good guage:

550-650  - lower end bags, still probably toasty it
not as durable

650-775 generally in good quality bags, warm, very
durable

775-900+ - Extremely high quality bags, very warm,
very durable. Notice that FF and WM (again, imo, the
two best bag makers) do not use 900+ fill.

Hope this helps.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com