[at-l] Timeframe to hike AT in Georgia - Update

>Thanks for the quick feedback,
>
>I kinda figured that 15 miles a day would need to be my average
>speed. I did 17 miles last Tuesday in 6.5 hrs, with a meger 15 lb
>pack, but couldn't walk for a day afterward. If I had been on the
>AT it would have been difficult to get up and do another 15+ day.
>Sounds like I have some training to do. No worries, I have plenty
>of time!
>
>Oh, and some of you noticed my email address...I live about 30
>minutes from the southern AT approach tailhead.
>
>Thanks again,
>Stephen

Stephen,
           I would highly recommend that you start with low mileage
and build up as you hike.  Eight to ten miles a day may be plenty for
the first week or two.  You oare suppose to enjoy the hike not turn
it into a chore.  I took 228 days to do my thru hike last year.  I
had around 20 zero days.  That means I averaged around 10 miles per
day.  I didn't finish until October 25th long after the Oct 15th day
that Baxter State Park is closed for camping but had a sunny warm day
for finishing on the top of Katahdin.  Plus the three of us that
summitted together owned the mountain that day.  No one else even
entered the park on October 25th.  It was awesome.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman