[at-l] Did somebody say Spandex?

At 05:21 PM 1/1/2005 -0500, Art Cloutman wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>After doing some test hikes, it has become apparent that it would be a
>>good idea for me to purchase some Spandex shorts to wear under my
>>hiking shorts to prevent the onset of monkey butt. Does anyone who has
>>experience with these (I grew up in the post-Spandex age) have an idea
>>of which ones would suit me well? I know biking shorts wouldn't be
>>necessary because of all their padding... thanks!
>>
>>David
>
>Have you considered wearing a kilt?  I tried spandex on my thru hike last
>year and found that to be just as troublesome.  I tried hiking with
>wicking underwear.  I believe the problem occurs in very hot weather when
>my hiking shorts prevent the wicking underwear from drying.  I eventually
>tried hiking in just the wicking underwear.  It worked great except I was
>a bit selfconcious.  I suppose you could get pretty selfconcious wearing a
>kilt but the monkey butt problem seeemed to stop.
>
>Gabby GAME2004
>--
>
>Life is Good!!!
>Art Cloutman

And... kilts don't have to be made of wool. Check out
<http://www.sportkilt.com/index.cfm>. They make them from synthetics and
cotton for ease of washing. A bit heavier but perhaps more "manly" is the
Utilikilt <http://www.utilikilt.com/>. I even comes with pockets and (on
the workman model) a hammer loop. ;)