[at-l] OT - Catastrophe

Sly wrote:

>In a message dated 12/30/2004 11:03:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>GoVolsKelly at aol.com writes:
>
>>What can we all do?  Really?  What, as a loving community of hikers, can
>>we do?  Surely there is something.
>>

>That said, as individuals, we can donate to the relief efforts.  From what
>understand, the best organizations to donate to are the America Red Cross
>and Doctors Without Borders.

Those are good organizations but even better is World Vision International.
World Vision has been operating specifically in the tsunami area for over 50
years and has the contacts and organization to do more with what they get.
You can check them out at:  http://www.wvi.org/wvi/home.htm  and:
http://www.wvi.org/wvi/news/latest_news.htm

I can personally recommend them.  I dealt with them 20 years ago and I know
they're a good organization.

For anyone who's willing to give, this website has just been set up as part
of a specific fundraiser for tsunami victims:
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/cq

And yeah - I've been there.  And I'll be there again - and again -

Walk softly,
Jim

PS - Be careful who you give to -   there are already several hundred "new"
organizations purporting to be aimed at tsunami relief.  Some of them are.
Some are scams.