[at-l] (OT) Lawyers, and those who work with good ones, have feelings too!

Yes, all this sounds a bit overdone given that poor Kent was just making
a mainstream joke, but as someone who has practiced law for 21 years, I
still am hurt by these jokes, and tired of them, however well-intended
in good, clean fun the jokster may tell me he or she was.  I sometimes
try to think about how my hurt feelings, magnified 1,000 times, might
approximate how a black person feels when he/she overhears a racially
charged joke, or how a polish person feels, or a blonde woman, etc.
etc.  Jokes are important as a way to let off steam about issues, but
they also have widespread, long lasting social impacts - worth thinking
about, even though too much thinking here can lead us to the other
extreme, which results in sanitized Christmas greetings such as the one
that started this all! :)

A really interesting point given something that happened to me two nights ago
at the diner where I work (incidentally, the minimally remunerative,
extremely low-cost lifestyle I'm adopting in order to finance my next thruhike):  a
trucker came in and had dinner.  He was a fairly obnoxious person, and luckily
the other waitress, an eighteen-year-old high-school grad who lives alone with
her brother and supports them both by waitressing full-time, served him.  His
first comments were flirtatious and annoying, you know, commenting on how
beautiful her eyes were, how they complimented the rest of her face, then the
casual sprinkling of "honey" and "dear," but got progressively more sexual until
he requested a dessert of "TCP."  I grinned to myself, thinking he misspoke and
really meant PCP, and in all likelihood the guy was just stoned off his
gourd.  Instead, what he was requesting was a dessert of "Thigh Cream Pie," as
spelled out, loudly, to the waitress, the rest of the patrons of the restaurant,
including a man whose flirtatious comments to me always get laughed off by his
wife, and the girl's *grandparents.*  When she pretended to not know what he
was talking about, he said that she must be familiar with it, and when on to
make reference to her probable familiarity to various positions.

Everyone, even the grandparents, laughed this off.  I was furious.  Later, I
talked to her about it, and she concurred with me on how horrible the
situation was and said something about someone, "getting in trouble for it."  I
assumed she meant the guy, but she was saying that if she had said anything, she
might have got in trouble with her boss (another woman, incidentally), even
though the cook (also the woman) had told her that she would back her up if she had
told him to shut up.  I was stunned.  Is this the world we live in?  A world
where a girl must risk her livelihood to protect herself from base and public
dehumanization?  If so, thank God for the lawyers.  Thank God for the
sexual-harassment suits.  I hope someone someday sues the poo-poo out of that man.

It got worse, too--he ended up spending the night in the parking lot as a lot
of truckers do, and he came in later to get some drinks for the night and he
and one of the gas-station attendants were mulling over a comment that some
other customers had made about the same waitress earlier in the day that they
wouldn't tell her.  The last comment he made was, "So, I'll be seeing you out in
my truck after you get off-shift, right?"  He laughed that off, too, and then
told us to stay safe on our way home.  The whole experience just made me feel
dirty:  the guy obviously got a rise out of being able to be blatantly sexual
with a girl a third his age.  I encounter this sort of discrimination far
more often than I ever expected to in the rural community I recently moved to,
and I feel like most of it's caused by utter insecurity on the part of the
speakers.  The only way they know to make themselves feel better about themselves
is to reduce people who have far less power than them--young women--to nothing
more than sexual objects.

All this to say that I know--boy, do I know--how much "hurt feelings" matter,
and how so-called jokes have far, far-reaching social impact.  If that guy
had made those comments to me, I would have hit him.  And I would have been the
one who got fired.

So on a somber note, Happy New Year to everyone--may we all treat each other
with more kindness and compassion in the coming year.

Marzipan
AT04