[at-l] New Reservation System at Katahdin

In a message dated 12/20/2004 5:04:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
blisterfree@isp01.net writes:
*
*
*
You've already got both. The AT has a number of short,
smooth, graded sections that are accessible to the
handicapped, for example along the Housatonic near Falls
Village CT or near the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Glasgow
VA. To say nothing of every piece of trail currently located
on roads.

And as for handicapped-accessible hostels, Galehead Hut,
high in the White Mountains, offers full accessibility to
the disabled.
*
*
*
        True, but I was thinking of a real Shenandoah-grade multi-use trail
that would wind up on some interesting Appalachian ridge somewhere. That way
wheelchair persons would have a real trail instead of AT leftovers. Imagine a
slabbed 3 or 4 day overnight trail that could be wheeled by handicapped persons
(almost there myself with this leg of mine) on a flat trail by viewpoints etc.
Disabled access shelters or huts and the works. The west would be prime for
this. In short, they don't need us with the lobby they have...

       Galehead is a perfect example of (excuse me for this) head up the ass
federalism...