[at-l] AT Trivia Questions

> >>1. Where and when did Dorothy Laker and Earl Shaffer first meet?

Once is definitely mentioned in the Rodale Press set when they bumped into
each other and hiked together for several days.  I had read that he said she
was the only woman that he might ever have married but I don't know if there
was any more to it than admiration from afar.

> >>2.What was the Philosopher's Guide? Who wrote it, and when and by whom
> >>was it published?

The original thru-hikers handbook.  It was an ATC volunteer effort, edited
by Darrell Maret and last published in 1990.  I have no idea who the
publisher was.

> >>3. What was the Philosopher's Club?

Friends and colleagues of Benton MacKaye during his TVA years, 1934-1936.

> >>4. What historic building, owned by Harpers Ferry National Historical
Park,
> >>housed ATC's offices before they were at their present location on
> >>Washington St. in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia?

I have no idea.

> >>5. In what years were the first, second, and third thousandth
2,000-miler
> >>hike reports received by ATC?

1936, ATC Chair Myron Avery
1936, Max Gordon
1936, Seymour Dorfman

> >>6. Who gave the keynote speech at the first Conference of the ATC?

MacKaye, I think - but it could have been Delano.  I wasn't there, but I saw
the TV special.

> >>7. What was Benton MacKaye's first official title with the newly-formed
> >>Appalachian Trail Conference?

Field organizer.

> >>8. When and where was Myron Avery born?

1899 in Lubec , Maine

> >>9. What was the name of Myron Avery's wife?

He was married?

> >>10. Name a current trail club supervisor with the same last name as
Myron
> >>Avery's wife's maiden name.

Yeah...right...

> >>11. What former ATC Bord member has made and carried up the most recent
> >>signs at the top of Katahdin?

Bill Foot?  That can't be right...  Bill's dead...

> >>12. Who was ATC's first paid staff member, when was he or she hired, and
> >>what was his or her original title?

The year was 1968, but I don't know any of the sordid details...

Jean Stephenson?

> >>13. How many hikes of the A.T. have current ATC staff members completed?

Does anybody really know that?  Do you mean thru hikes or does this include
day hikes?

> >>14. What was the date the National Scenic Trail Act was passed/signed
that
> >>made that A.T. a national scenic trail?

1968

> >>15. What percentage of 2,000-milers are section-hikers (approximately)?

20%

Shane

(How did I do?  Can I join BPL again now?)