From: <Bluetrail@aol.com>
To: <at-L@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 8:44 AM
Subject: [at-l] Cooking for Thru-Hikers

My house is roughly a mile off the Florida Trail, and I've overnighted and
fed a lot of the long-distance hikers on the FT.  I'm expecting Scott "Crash
Test Dummy" Nothen (doing the ECT southbound) early next week.  Just for
discussion, what dinner would you serve to a long-distance hiker?

This is my favorite vegetarian menu:
homemade hummus and chips
Thai squash soup (usually a very big hit)
Noodles with pea pods & red pepper strips in a peanut sauce
Stir fried mix of broccoli & bok choy
Mixed fruit salad
Chocolate truffle cake with sweetened whip cream

Don't really have a favorite non-vegetarian menu, but I'm planning this for
Scott, who said he'd eat anything as long as there's plenty of it:

cranberry salsa and chips
barbeque meatloaf
mashed potatoes with gravy off the meatloaf
steamed broccoli
spinach salad with grapes, apple, walnuts, dried cherries &  feta and a
vinegarette dressing
rolls and butter
Homemade Christmas cookies and eggnog ice cream

What would you fix?

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com