[at-l] PA-RUCK - was LCD Projector Needed?

Ted wrote:
>I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the PA Ruck at the end of January.
>
>This will be my first one and I'm excited!

Cool - we'll take all the excitement we can get.  <G>

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to the list about this, but I can
only rarely access email during the day anymore (some corporate firewalls
are really finicky) - and lately my home computer has been getting an
overhaul.  So - now that I'm sorta back online - yes, the PA Ruck WILL
happen the last weekend in Jan (28-30 Jan).  I talked to Donna (the
hostel-keeper) last Thursday and we confirmed the dates.

She still has lots of space in the hostel - the campground will be open (you
"might" want to make reservations if you're gonna stay there) - Marsha "may"
have room at the cabin she's rented (although that's a question - not a
statement) - and there are motels some miles up the road (no - I don't have
phone numbers or even names for them - check the Companion).

The hostel - closes on Dec 20 and won't open again until Jan 21.  If you
want to make reservations there, you might want to do it before Dec 20.

>I noticed that you guys normally do slideshows, etc.
>
>I have an LCD Projector and a Laptop I can bring if you guys think that
>would be useful. The LCD projector also has onboard speakers, so it could
>play DVDS.

Yup - it just might be useful.  I believe Steve is bringing the BIG SCREEN.
I'll have one of those "old-fashioned" slide projectors if anyone needs one.
   And, as you can tell, there are several people who will have CD's or
DVD's.  I was gonna bring a DVD player, but if you'll bring your setup, I
won't mess with it.

>Does anyone have any of the "new" AT Documentaries? Walking with Freedom
>(www.walkingwithfreedom.com) or 2000 Miles to Maine
>(http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/) could be "screened" using the setup
>if anyone thinks that would be a good idea and the film-makers don't have
>an issue.

Yeah - we've got 2000 Miles to Maine - we'll bring it - as well as
Weathercarrot's AT DVD - and "Walk" for those interested in the PCT - and
maybe a CD with some Alaska slides.  I think Weahercarrot will also be
there, possilbly with a preliminary version of his new PCT DVD.  We may
also have Spur and Ready, complete with his CDT slides.

And I think we just overloaded the schedule <VBG>

Speaking of which - at the moment there is no schedule.  We'll work one up
and post it here in a couple weeks (after Christmas).  Just don't get the
idea that we're getting organized - we've managed to keep a large degree of
chaos in this zoo for a long time.  I like it that way and I won't give that
up easily.  <G>

>Also, with the LCD people could do PowerPoint's and could bring a CD of
>pictures and we could put it in "Slideshow" Mode.
>
>If any of the organizers or presenters think this would be useful, let me
>know, and I'll be glad to make arrangements to bring it!

Hmm - speaking of "organization" - we apparently no longer have a website
either -- unless Red is still around and willing to do something with it.
But we survived (and grew) for a number years without one.  And it looks
like we're in for another "big" year in 2005 even without advertising.  By
my count, we've got at least 40 people coming right now - and we're still a
month and a half from tee time.

As long as I'm here, though -- Can I still assume that Marsha is gonna be
Trail-boss in the kitchen?  That Steve will bring the "BIG screen"?  And
that Hoplite will be willing to lead the Thruhikers Bull Session?  Yup -
that's right - I won't be doing that this year - it's someone elses turn.

We'll also need a voulnteer to lead the Tuckerization.  Is Mara gonna be
there this year?  She does that so well.

Ginny and I WILL lead the hike to Pole Steeple on Saturday morning.  For
prospective thruhikers, we've found that those who go with us on those hikes
are the ones who finish the AT.  There's a reason for that - ask me about it
while we're hiking. <G>

>Astronomy GURU - President of ASH - http://www.astrohbg.org
>NOBO - GA----->ME '06 - Baby!
>(Possible Trailname - Stargazer - Maybe, we'll see....)
>http://www.trailjournals.com/stargazer/ - I'll get some more prep entries
>up soon....

Should I assume you know about the APOD?  Naaah - I try to NEVER assume
things like that - so: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

Finally - the hostel needs help - in both the financial and physical labor
categories. Skeeter has arranged for an ALDHA work trip - I believe it'll be
on the weekend of March 3.  Donna will make up a list of things that need to
be done, some of us will bring tools, and we'll do what we can to clean,
paint, repair - or whatever else is necessary.  We'd enjoy seeing some of
you return on that weekend to join us in putting some "sweat equity" into
the hostel.

Hmm - finally (again) --- during the Ruck, we normally run a low level fund
raiser for some worthy AT related cause.  There is no pressure - nobody will
spit on your boots if you don't contribute, but for those of us who think
financial support is a good thing, it's an opportunity to contribute to a
good cause.  One year the recipient was the AT Museum, another year it was
The Place in Damascus, last year it was the Church of the Mountain in
Delaware Water Gap. This year the designated recipient will be the
Ironmasters Mansion.  You know - the place where the Ruck is gonna be held.
I thought it was appropriate.

The fund raiser consists of three parts - direct donations via a donation
jar - a soup and bread lunch on Saturday - and a used gear sale.  Some of us
bring our used gear, lay it out in the hallway and walk away from it.  Those
who find something there that they like should then leave a donation in the
bucket ( a GENEROUS donation, please!!) and take their "treasures" home with
them.  Anyone who has gear they no longer use - or no longer have room for -
or whatever - is welcome to donate it to a good cause.  In this case, to the
hostel.  On Sunday, if your junque hasn't been claimed by some poor sucker
--- then you get to drag it home, perhaps to be returned to the Ruck next
year.  It took me two (maybe three??) years to find someone who wanted a
pair of running shoes that had been used just twice - for a total of about
30 miles.  But someone did finally give them a good home.  <G>

Enuff --- I'm sure we'll have more questions come up - and we'll put more
details out here later.  We'll even repeat the details that were posted some
time ago.  So - don't anyone panic - a Ruck is a relaxed gathering of
friends (hiking related friends) so we can hang out, talk, teach, learn and
enjoy each other and the pictures, slides, etc that we bring (so we can brag
about where we've been - and share our experiences).  Hmm - seems there's
generally a lot of eating going on, too.  It's not the Gathering, it's not
Trail Days - but it's still a lot of fun and it can be educational for those
who come to learn.  A Ruck is, by definition, organized chaos with the
emphasis on "chaos". <G>

Anyway - if you have questions, ask them.  The only stupid question is the
one that's not asked.
If you have something to contribute, speak up - I'm not so dumb that I'll
pass up someone who wants to help.  If anyone is interested in being
responsible for organizing breakfast on Saturday or Sunday, Friday night
dinner (we don't get in until too late to participate) or soups for Saturday
lunch - speak up.  Everyone brings something to share for dinner on
Saturday.

Y'all have a good night,
Jim