[at-l] I almost missed this

In a message dated 11/16/2004 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
at-l-request@backcountry.net writes:

> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:58:44 -0800
> From: "Kelly Whitman" <kellyswhitman@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [at-l] Still out here!
> To: at-l@backcountry.net
>
> Hi, all!  I'm briefly resubbing just to let folks know I'm still on the
> trail.  I left it at the midway point in PA in the middle of the summer with
>
> severe plantar fasciitis, returned in September to hike through NH (wanting
> to get the Whites out of the way), hitched up to Katahdin and then went
> south through Maine, then hopped over NH to continue SOBO through VT.  I'm
> now in Dalton, MA, and hope to finish in PA by New Year's.
>
> There are actually more people out here than I expected, and while I'm
> mostly enjoying the solitude, I'm always glad to see someone and have a
> chat.  I've met a few section hikers, some trail maintainers (checking on
> shelters), day hikers, and lots of hunters (deer season; yes, I'm wearing
> blaze orange).  Some of the Long Trail hikers I met have me seriously
> considering doing the LT next year.  Very neat and interesting folks out
> here.  Lots of kindness.
>
> It's COLD in this part of the country, at least to this native Los Angelean.
>
>   The coldest temp I'm logged so far was seven.  Seven!  That is a child's
> age, not a temperature.  That was at Stratton Pond.  The pond froze, my
> contact lense solutions froze, my shoes were two bricks of solid ice... made
>
> for a very interesting morning, heh heh.
>
> Other than a little frostbite on my toes and fingers, and what I think is a
> hairline refracture of my left wrist (which I fractured earlier in the
> summer in a fall on the trail), I am doing well.  I'm camped on Tom's porch
> here on Depot Street in Dalton - nicest fellow in the world - he loaded me
> up with hot cocoa, blankets, and - joy of joys - a real PILLOW last night!
> All very much appreciated.  I am going to do some laundry, pick up my mail
> drop, and be back on the trail tomorrow, heading for Kay Wood shelter.  I'll
>
> try to check my email tomorrow morning, then I'll unsub again.  I'll resub
> "for real" when I'm back home in January.
>
> Hope everyone is well!
>
> Kelly Whitman
> GA -> PA <- ME '04
> "There ARE no other women like me."  -- 7 of 9
>
> P.S.  Did I already mention my trail name?  It's "Pooja the Bear Chaser."

Why hasn't there been more comment about Kelly's reappearance?  (I was away
from the computer when this came in and only finally opened it tonight.)  I
remember Jim asking a number of times if anyone knew where she was.

Well, she's really braving it (the cold).  My hat's off to her.

Kinnickinic