[at-l] glucosamine and chondroitin?

Hey Druggies,

My doctor suggested, (among other things and I still have to go back) I take
chondroitin for my ailing knee.  I told him I had some glucosamine and
chondroitin at home and would this be ok.  He only thought sure, but just using
chondroitin would help and be cheaper.

Anyway, since I do have some glucosamine AND chondroitin, I'm taking that.

I know there's a few on the list that having been taking it, so the questions
are...

When do you notice a difference?

How long do YOU suggest taking it?

What's the proper dosage, how often?

The bottle of pills I have, has along with other ingredients, such as vitamin
C, calcium, zinc and copper, 1500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride and 1200 mg
of chondroitin sulfate and suggests 3 pills, twice daily, yet I see other
brands with a third of the milligrams and sometimes only suggesting once a day.
See what I'm getting at, how much will do?  In this case I'd rather take
advice from a hiker than a doctor.

Thanks,

Sly