[at-l] NOC map...and driving...big conundrum

OK all you locals who know every back road,

What do you think is the best route from I-81 in SWVA?

Yahoo looks like:

I-81 to Va exit #3
VA-381 SOUTH
US-19 SOUTH
US-19W SOUTH
I-26 EAST/US-19W SOUTH to ASHEVILLE
I-26 EAST
US-19 SOUTH
I-240 WEST
I-40 WEST
Exit #27 towards WAYNESVILLE/MURPHY/ATLANTA/MAGGIE VALLEY/CLYDE

I was wondering about going farther South and taking 66 to Gatlinburg and 77 &
I-441 through the GSMNP?

I usually try to avoid Pigeon Forge and the Malfunction Junction like the
plague -- esp. Summer and Fall.  However, I was wondering if anyone had any
experience with that route mid-January?  A mid-January midweek-weekday ?

Chainsaw