[at-l] Re: Digitized AT maps

For those of you with an interest in seeing an implementation of the GIS
data you can check out NASA?s World Wind project, an online database of
satellite imagery.

In my opinion it is the best publicly available resource to date for USGS/
NASA images. The application makes it possible to browse satellite imagery
for the entire world, however the U.S. is the highest detailed since USGS
imagery is included. Street level detail is available for some cities, for
example it is possible to read the lettering on the sides of planes on the
tarmac at Atlanta. As for the trail, you can download the AT data as an add
on (self installing application) and see the trail and all of the shelters
as an overlay. All images are 3D. With that in mind I will mention that the
application is resource intensive (CPU particularly) and requires a
DSL/cable connection since it pulls data from the NASA server onto your
computer where it is cached.

The project homepage is here.

HYPERLINK
"http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/"http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/

Here is a link to the Appalachian Trail discussion board. On page two there
is a link to download the data file for use in World Wind.

HYPERLINK
"http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=560"http://l
earn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=560

Bob

---