[at-l] Is he doin' this again?

On Dec 4th, 1998 I hiked from Jenkins S. to Knot Maul Shelter. Jenkins was the
first night of the trip that I had stayed alone. The day was pretty much
uneventful and I saw no other human. (None that I remember, anyway). Partly cloudy and breezy, it was. I had forgotten how tough the climb to Chestnut Knob S. is. I won't forget next time, though. I'll also not forget hiking through the open areas south of CKS, along the farmroad. I was using my ski-pole hiking sticks to play air-drums on "Smalltown" (Mellencamp), "Beautiful Loser" (Seger)
and "Shook Me All Night Long" (AC/DC). I hope no one was watching. Then again, what do I care? I remember the last few miles being very nice Rhododendron and stream-filled. I got water under the huge new bridge. I got to the shelter just
before sunset. That is where, and when, the strangest thing of the hike
happened. Here it is:

I got as much stuff done as I could, wanting to use the last of the
daylight. As the sun was sitting, I stood on top the picnic table to get
a better view. The sky was brilliant orange and red and incredible. I
could only see a small window through the Rhodies and trees, and that
made it even more beautiful. Then, I turned around to witness an incredible
moon rise. If it wasn't full, it was within a day (one way or the other.
I think it was full, though). So, I stood and watched the moon climb
above its mountain hiding place. Really nice. THEN, it happened. There
was this huge "Z" in the sky. It seemed to be a cloud-like material
(gaseous?) It was between me and the moon. It was roughly the same
heighth as the moon, and a long way away (from me). As the moon rose,
the "Z" pretty much stayed the same place. I listened to AM radio to
see if I could hear someone say what it was. Radio promotion? Something.

I heard nothing. The next day I hiked in to Atkins. That is where I met
Pilot. I asked her about the "Z". She had witnessed no "Z". She thought
I was crazy (for a lot of reasons, including the "Z"). Now, here is the
long-awaited kicker: I spoke to Pilot 6 months later. SHE SAW THE "Z"!!!
Yep, she spent the night at Knot Maul on her way through, and, she saw the "Z". (at least she says she did...)

An asside...(is there an 'h' in that?) 6 years ago today, after hiking in a cold drizzle and old snow, after checking into the Atkins Motel and getting my laundry ready, I met Pilot. I was walking down the sidewalk to the laundry-room and passed a room with its door open. A periferry peek showed my trained eye a roomful of hiking stuff. I stopped and took a more direct look and there, on the floor amidst all this gear was little Miss Pilot. We had dinner that night and breakfast the next morning...and, dinner the next night...and, breakfast the next morning...and...well, 6 years later we're spending our 2nd Christmas together (sometimes it takes that long for the Feelmeister to sink in)...

Footnote: If anyone has any idea what the damned "Z" was, please tell me.

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98