[at-l] 2005 SORUCK location change...

Pittsia is doing a very good job with very little information or control
over current events. He has suggested we look at options to Camp Thornwell.
No one has suggested that Georgia folks are adverse to driving, witness the
very existence of Atlanta. No one has ruled out any possible venue,
although few of us wish to return to Amicalola Falls.

One of the problems of the success of the RUCKs has been the growing size
of a gathering originally designed to get a few planning hikers together
with a few past thru hikers and section hikers. This has made some of the
planning more complicated, one of the reasons I stepped down from
RUCKMEISTER last year. I know Kahley and others had similar experiences.

One thing that is not helpful to Pittsburg and the RUCK - pot shots
regarding the planning and locations. If you are keen to see a specific
location, consider actually contacting that venue and finding out
availability. We have been through this before, of demanding changes in
venues without finding out what was available. I strongly suggest that we
help Pittsburg and Sunny, without getting a wedgie over other options.
Unfortunately, there aren't going to be many event planning departments
open on a weekend.

Heck, I've come up with yet another option. There is a big Methodist Church
across the street from Miss Janet's. A bunch of us could stay at the
Holiday Inn or in local hostels, and then meet at the church's fellowship
hall. I also may have a contact for their high school.

There are options. Believe me when I know that finding a venue has been
complicated only by second guessing. We have done it as late as
Thanksgiving. We can do it again, assuming that Thornwell is out of our
picture.

OrangeBug