[at-l] Sam's Gap -> Damascus 11/23 Day 9

11/22 Tuesday. Location - Kincora
23871 steps or about 9 miles in  4.5 hours. About 40 left to Damascus.

Today, I slackpacked from US 321, Wataugua Lake and back to Kinkora. The
elevation maps show Pond Mtn to be a mesa, but it is simple a nearly 4000
foot mountain with a long broad summit. I simply carried a bit of lunch -
cheese and Snickers bars, water and rain gear in a "day pack". That was
little more than a large book bag with no hip belt to move the weight to my
hips. It was little weight and little worry. There was a terrific spring in
the middle of the summit, almost a small artesian well. A newt defended it,
looking afraid I was going to take all of his water. The the rain and mist
of the day and past week, I am sure there was more where it came from.

The knee brace surprised me at how much better I handled the downhills and
such. I passed IceBound as he approached the top of Pond Mtn. He plans on
going about 18 miles today and tomorrow, and hitting Damascus Thursday AM
for an anticipated Big Feed.

I got back to Kinkora before 1PM. Bob was impressed. I saw a couple of
former thru hikers visiting Laurel Falls. I could see some of the damage
from the Hurricanes, but Bob and his crew had done a terrific job on their
maintenance. There were a couple of switchbacks with erosion, but nothing
terribly bad.

I talked with Bob and Pat about how to plan for the next few days as my
hike ends. I could leave my car at Kinkora, but I'd be facing a $50 shuttle
from Damascus on the big shopping day. We decided to shuttle the car up to
Damascus at the Mount Rogers Outfitters(MRO). This worked well for me, as I
needed to get a new hat as my Peruvian llama wool hat had gone missing.
Weather is expected to get messy as a storm from Texas and the MidWest was
making aim at us for tomorrow with a big cold front to push winter air into
the Southern Appalachians on Thanksgiving. I decided to forego my hammock
and tart to reduce weight and bulk in my pack. I'm going with my Nomad tent
that has seen me through storms and blizzards in the past. I have a very
warm sleeping bag that my wife had given me, so I have little worries.

I drove the back country roads up the valleys to Damascus, stopping in
Mountain City for a few groceries and resupply. I loved their deli with
chicken livers. When I got to MRO, Bob was already there, waving my hat at
me. Somehow, I missed it in the dryer. Parking will cost $2 per day, and
include a shower on my return! It doesn't take much to make me happy.

So tonight is my 3rd and final night in Kinkora. I'll have to find an
excuse to get back up here. I have the hostel to myself and here the rain
begin. I get to admire the week old stubble beginning to reassert itself on
my head and face. Life is good.

OrangeBug