[at-l] AT Conservancy

And then Jim said:

>And it wasn't. True then, still true. Despite that
Mags >is correct in
>saying "Long distance
>hikers are part of the reason why the AT is viewed as
a >whole entity rather
>than merely another trail in an existing trail
system".

Thanks Jim, that is what I was going to say. The AT
was inded not built for thru-hikers. The AT was
initially planned for rustic camps. It evolved into a
long distance wilderness footpath via Avery. The long
distance footpath elvoved into today's AT partially
because of long distance hikers.

I question where the AT would be today if it wasn't
for the concept of people trekking for several months.
It is a concept that captures the public's
imagination, and in my opinion, helps make the AT
truly a long distance footpath as opposed another
trail in the Smokies trail system.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com