[at-l] AT Conservancy

So, this name change is part of a longer term trend?
The ATC will evolve into a leaner, meaner organization
whose focus is strictly on preservation and
maintenance of the trail corridor?

Someone asked why we need hiker advocacy. There is an
element of truth to that statement. Why does the
independent hiker need a group to advocate for them.
Have pack, good shoes..will travel. What is so
complicated about that?

However, we do need someone to speak for the hikers.
Otherwise the trail will not reflect the needs and
desires of some members. Should the trail just be for
people out for a day while driving along Blue Ridge
Parkway? Should the trail just be for people who swing
a pulaski? It should be for those users..and the other
users, too. Without a voice though, some users
opinions will be ignored. It the ATC does evolve into
a group whose main focus is indeed conservation of the
trail, there is a need for a group that does express
hikers concerns.

Long distance hikers are a small group...but a group
that has much visibility on the trail. Arguably part
of the mystique and power of the trail is that people
walk the length of it. It makes the AT a whole. Would
the AT be as magical if it was merely another trail in
the White Mountains, the Smokies, etc.? Long distance
hikers are part of the reason why the AT is viewed as
a whole entity rather than merely another trail in an
existing trail system (e.g. the Whites).
If we want to this voice in the AT chorus to be heard,
a need for a stronger advocacy group may be needed.

As with others, not sure if ALDHA wants to evolve into
this role or can (or will have to...)

Interesting.

=====
--Thoreau