[at-l] six years ago today...

Sicks years ago today, I ate ALL the hotdogs they had at that grocery store just up the road from Kimberlng Cr. crossing. (Trent's ?) Well, I ate ALL the ones they had on that little thing with the lights and the spinning wires.
This is where Snail-no-More's trip with me ended. He had brought my
little posse back to Catawba from the DC area and then hiked with me for
5 nights. 'twas fun indeed. Our first night back was kinda odd. First,
we stopped at the Catawba GS to get Sundown's maildrop. It weighed 25
lbs and cost $43 to send. He started to break it down in the parking lot
where the Trail crosses VA 621 using the headlights of SNM's Bronco.
Southpaw showed up to help us do some car-jockeying. SNM and I hiked the
1.3 miles to Niday shelter with a big moon in the sky. Sundown ended up
with 5 cans of Skoal and at least 3 cameras. We laffed.

The next day Sundown stayed at Niday and burned all the stuff he didn't
want to carry. I didn't see him again until Thomas Knob. My shelter
stays were Niday, Laurel Creek, Pine Swamp, Pearisburg (motel) and
Wapiti. Most of these were reached after dark as the daylight was
dwindling each day.

So, back to 6 years ago today. I spent the night at Jenny Knob with a
high school dropout that was having trouble figgerin' out what he wanted
to do with his life. Leave it up to the Feelmeister to set him straight.
We got lost looking for water. The upper spring was dry and we had to
follow a blue blaze down the hill to a 'creek'. The blazes seemed to
stop and Rhodies are hard to walk through in the dark. It was a crisp,
clear, beautiful night to be lost, though. He was sleeping with just a
blanket and had a coffee can to cook and eat in. He was a nice kid.

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98