[at-l] Sam's Gap -> Damascus 11/20 Day 6

11/20 Saturday. Location - a spur of rock overlooking a pastoral view of
Tennessee. 38128 steps. About 14 trail times.

It went quickly leaving Roan High Knob Shelter and getting into Carver's
Gap. I did find the TN park the guidebook lists, and wasn't able to throw
away the trash from the shelter. I was really surprised at the quality of
the gravel path across the initial balds of the day. Jane Bald had the
scars of years of hikers going up her, now with well drained and
switchbacked trail, almost pavement. (I later learned that Bob of Kinkora
had been part of the crew that waited for a huge snowfall. They drove an
Artic Cat from Pennsylvania over the snow cover to dump tons of gravel in
several spots, spreading it out after the thaw. The snow prevented further
damage to the bald.) I was quickly passed by a day hiker seeking views from
Little Hump Mtn. I met a couple of women leaving from an overnight camping
trip. The clouds were opening and closing rapidly, allowing occasional
peeks at the valleys and the neighboring peaks.

The further I went, the more the clouds tended to close. I had a good time
reading the history plaque about the Overmountain Men - a volunteer militia
gathered from SW Virginia, western Carolina and what is now eastern
Tennessee. These men came over the mountains, gathered with others at
Cowpens, SC and later defeated Ferguson's Tory/Loyalist army on Kings
Mountain, NC. Some participated in the later battle of Cowpens, the second
most important Revolutionary War victory. It was getting a bit late, and I
wanted to get 15 miles today, so I didn't visit the famous Overmountain
Shelter - a huge barn.

I soon met the day hiker returning to his car. He found no views after
waiting a long time on Little Hump. As I walked further, it became more
cold, windy and began spitting sleet at me. At times I could not see even a
1/4 mile, having trouble finding blazes and following the trail on the
bald. For those not experienced with balds, these are strange mountains
between 4000 - 5500 feet high, that have been void of trees seemingly
forever. There is no apparent reason for trees not to grow there, as there
have been patches of trees planted to test that theory.

A story from Bob Peoples: A few years ago, a NOBO hiker was walking much
like me in much the same fog and rain, simply watching his feet and trying
to keep the sleet, wind and freezing rain out of his eyes. He looked up and
saw a head of a huge demonic creature appear before him, with horns
reaching past his shoulders. He couldn't see anything else, and did the
correct thing - prayed to God for forgiveness and mercy as he ran back the
way he came. The hiker had just met the recently introduces African cattle
used to keep the blackberries and weeds down.

I didn't see this apparition, but I did see cow pies the size of
Volkswagens. I treated my water in this area.

As I climbed Hump Mtn. I met one hunter giving up for the day, and later
another 2 hunters preparing to leave. They saw little, and had not
successfully tracked one buck they shot. As I approached a stile after the
summit of Hump, I spied a flock of clustered critters blocking my way. Only
when I was within 10 feet did they become a Boy Scout Troop with about 10
cold boys and 2 leaders - one in shorts. They were heading for The Barn for
an overnight camping trip.

The day began to age rapidly as I descended Hump Mtn. it was easy to fall
twice on the wet rocks and leaves. The clouds stayed up around 5000 feet as
I dropped down toward Doll Flats. I said farewell to NC as I checked it off
of my To Do list. I had plenty of water and decided to hang my hammock here
on this dramatic spur, probably a couple of miles short of Apple House
Shelter. I had gotten some miles done, but I really didn't want to deal
with shelter mice again.

I found a couple of trees in just the right distances. My kitchen was
almost as picturesque as FDR's BBQ pit down on Pine Mtn, GA. Rain seemed
certain and I felt ready as I lay myself down for a late Fall's slumber.

OrangeBug