[at-l] AT Conservancy

> Is this in fact a role of the ATC: to hold deeds to parcels
> of land along the AT?  If one owned land along the AT and
> wished to donate it, would the ATC be the natural beneficiary?

Land Ownership is complicated. The great majority of the land that the trail
is actually on is owned by either NPS or USFS, with minority holdings by
various state parks and forests and other governmental entities. The ATC
Land Trust does own parcels in the viewshed of the trail and attempts to get
various government entities, primarily NPS, to buy them so they can invest
in more parcels. Protecting the viewshed will be an increasingly important
function of ATC. ATC accepts donated parcels with some guidelines about what
they will accept and what they will decline, e.g. the will not accept
parcels that can't pass a phase I environmental review, superfund sites.

---