[at-l] Beans and other dried stuff

David,
	I bought my first dryer in 1982. It was large enough to dry 30# of
vegetables at once. It had 14 Teflon screen shelves, adjustable
temperature and a circulating or fresh air vent. The dryer cost $135.
and lasted 20 years. It was well worth the money and I was quite
satisfied with it. When it quit I replaced it with a $20. round dryer
from Walmart. It looks basically like three shelves and a hair dryer
LOL. I really like this small food dryer. It is easy to use and easy
to clean up. Add some plastic liners for drying stuff like tomatoes
paste, spagetti sauce, apple sauce (fruit leathers) etc and it is all
I need.
	I have dried most everything I can think of. My favorites are mixed
vegetables, pinto beans, and roast beef.
	I don't really care for fruit leathers but a lot of folks by canned
pie filling and dry it to make fruit roll ups.
	With pinto beans I use canned beans because they are easy and
inexpensive. Lucks pinto's already have a great broth and are my
favorite. On my dryer two cans will fit on one shelf. This makes it
easy to bag them up one can to a bag and I have a clue of the
nutritional content from the original label on the can. I prefer to
keep the beans seperate from say tomatoes paste and chili powder etc.
This way if I cook them on the trail using the boiling method it
requires less stirring than if it had some thick tomatoes sauce mixed
with it. That can be added later. Pintos do very well even with out a
pot cozy. Just boil them a few min and set them aside to soak for a
while. Bring them back to a boil 20 min later and they will be ready.
The extra effort is well worth it. Lipton Dinners are way down on my
list of good things to eat.
	Mixed vegetables are something I almost never tire of. A few veggies
make a drab meal of Lipton s or Ramin a whole lot more appealing to
me. I buy frozen veggies in 2.5# bags at the grocery store. It is best
to avoid mixes that contain potatoes because they take a long time to
reconstitute after being dried. Lima beans also take longer than some
other veggies but I still use them sometimes. Favorite mix is corn,
green beans, carrots, black eyes, green peas, hmmm seems like I am
forgetting something. I spread the frozen veggies on the shelves and
start drying. They will dry to approx. 1/4 their original weight.
	I have made jerky and its really good. I am lazy and it is hard to
beat store bought jerky that is already packaged up nicely. With any
prepackaged food you do get preservatives and additives....but Like I
said I am lazy and preserved. I have dried canned chicken and ham and
they work very well and the weight savings is nice on a long trip. On
my first Long Distance hike I dried 21# of turkey meat that I ground
up first. This is one of the cheapest proteins that you can get. The
meat produced large quantities of gas!! Deadly gas bombs that lingered
on the trail for the next hiker. We stopped eating the turkey on that
trip for this reason and switched to canned meats we bought along the
way. The 60# of veggies I dried we never tired of. Maybe I need to try
turkey again now that I know about BeanO.
	My favorite meat to dry is Roast Beef. This method produces beef that
is very similar to Freeze Dried Beef. Cook a very lean roast  adding
more of your favorite spices than usual. Grind the cooked roast on a
very course setting so that it looks something like ground beef. Avoid
any fat because it will go rancid pretty fast and greatly reduce your
storage time. Dry the ground roast add a little salt for extra
preservative. The meat is great in the dried form or it can be added
to other dishes. It reconstitutes in about 5 minuets in hot water.
	Some recipes suggest all dried meats should be put through a short
high heat process before storage. Some suggest blanching raw
vegetables before drying also. Mainly I just clean all work surfaces
with a clorox solution to make sure I do not introduce anything that
might want to grow later :-). I store everything in the deep freezer.
Long term items are vacuum packed. Short term items are just put in
multiple layers of ziplocks.

chase