[at-l] Sam's Gap -> Damascus 11/15 & 16 (Off Trail)

11/15 Monday. I drove Erwin to ATL in 4 hours, without a ticket. The couple
found out their cheapest way to South Florida was Greyhound, even if at
midnight from the downtown bus station. With my Rotary 15th Anniversary
dinner, we arranged to get them to MARTA and on to the bus station early in
the afternoon. One good thing about hikers - we adjust and entertain
ourselves pretty well.

The Rotary dinner was a blast, with huge attendance. I sat between the
young Serbian student and an older lady acquaintance of my oldest daughter
and ex-wife. There were a few too many comments about "getting lucky". We
had too many people who changed their menus. Surprise! I had pasta for
dinner! At least it wasn't a Lipton's dinner! The wine and the photos were
the most fun.

After the party, I completed THE CHANGE.

11/16 Location Kinkora (a Hostel in Dennis Cove, near Hampton TN). 8PM

I laugh whenever I see myself in the mirror. For a few years, I've
discussed shaving, and had decided to shave - all of it - for the past few
months. I courted the idea as salt and pepper invaded my beard. The girls
hoped to be around when it happened, expressed some misgivings, but the
opportunity and time didn't arrive for their participation. I felt it
appropriate to wait until after my Rotary dinner and photos with other
presidents.

So after the party, out came the shears and then the razor. No beard for
the first time since the Bicentennial. No hair. Only eyebrows remain. It is
really strange, and I think I look a decade younger.

Buying gas, I see other cue-balls great me - some with beards. We are a
small club.

I called ahead and arranged to meet my sister at a BBQ sandwich diner. She
didn't see me until I repeated my greeting 3 times. As she looked at me, it
still failed to register who I was. The girls were upset that I hadn't
taken a photo and emailed them. I helped my Brother in Law to complete this
task.

This got me to the trailhead to late to start today. After discussion with
Miss Janet (and another few pictures and disbelief), we got me up to
Kinkora and I finally met Bob and Pat Peoples. I hiked down to Laurel
Falls. I drove into Elizabethtown and was Christmas hit the small town as
their lights shown and parade completed. I finally got that 8 piece box of
KFC. I cleaned out the nasty hiker hostel fridge. I washed, dried and put
away the fuzzy dishes. I repacked my pack and prepared to tomorrow's return
to the trail. I had the hostel alone to myself. Even with the wood stove
cooking, there seemed to be a draft.

OrangeBug