[at-l] Sam's Gap -> Damascus 11/13

Location: Miss Janet's Hostel in Erwin, TN, 6AM BP 146/96 P 92

My general plans are a section hike of about 144 miles from Sam's Gap to
Damascus. This will finish NC and TN for me. I hope this will help me
finish recovering from back surgery and a few other losses for the year.
I've sectioned with Miss Janet's support from Allen Gap to Sam's Gap back
in Labor Day weekend. I have to return to Atlanta for a Rotary 15th
Anniversary dinner 11/15. My plan is to start at Sam's Gap today (Saturday)
and get to my car by 10AM Monday.

I spent the night here after 5 1/2 hours drive Friday from Atlanta. Rain
and fog greeted me to Tennessee. All evening we visited with a motley crew
of SouthBounders (SOBOs) including Lunch Box, Uncle Bob, FuMan, Miss Janet,
a major sectioning couple and others.

The couple had done Maine to Harpers Ferry last year, and had hoped to
complete to Springer this year. Something about bad weather and torrential
hurricane rains had dampened their spirits, and they weren't sure just how
much further they would go.They seemed a bit peeved with Miss Janet over
their changes in plans and her desire to serve the many other hikers in the
hostel. They have an opportunity to head to Florida and visit family,
knowing that I could get them as far as Atlanta Monday.  I even offered
them the use of my car Sunday to explore the Biltmore Estates down in
Asheville. Then, they will get to bring the car to me at trail side as we
drive south Monday morning.

The air is cool, pavement wet, train sounds are distant and the trail is
beckoning. Can I get these folks up and going?

7:30PM Whispering Gap - 11.2 pedometer says 13083 steps, but I think this
is low.

Breakfast was great and somewhat leisurely as the SOBO's planned their
slack packs (4 for Sam's to Nollichucky River - 24 miles in 1 day with only
day packs). The couple stayed a bit upset that they are adjusting their
plans after changing them to suit the weather. They will do a short 7 miles
Sam's Gap to Devil Fork Gap day hike. Yet another SOBO plans 30 miles
toward Allen Gap in one day (that trip took me 3 in September). That at
least kept things convenient with all leaving from Sam's Gap, entertained
with riddles by Miss Janet and the youthful exuberance of the SOBOs.

I am here alone in Whispering Gap, full, happy and writing in my warm
hammock. (Speer Hammock with a down quilt "Peapod" surrounding it). My
clothes are drying beneath me. Lipton's and fish steak dinner satiates me.
I ate about a cup of pecans, 3 Laughing Cows (cheese) and 3 Snicker's Bars
as I struggled along today.

There was lot's of fog and haze with no view, until suddenly a big light
appeared in the sky about 10:30AM. I enjoyed the warmth and never had a
clue that my watch was off by a few hours. I dawdled about, rested in a few
spots and visited a bit much. This was especially true up on Big Bald. This
place is almost as spectacular as Max Patch. I met a group of guys with
their kids from Spartanbgurg, Charlotte and Asheville on top after passing
them at Street Gap and letting them pass me as I explored the water tank.
We took a few photos of each other, and I got the usual questions about why
would a grown man go walking alone on the AT in November.  They were mostly
harmless.

My original plan was to stop at 8 miles at the Big Bald Shelter. I thought
it was 2PM and decided to push on further 4 miles to Whispering Gap. I got
here as the sun set on it's schedule and the light faded rapidly. I figured
out how to raise the tarp and hammock, thankful that there was no rain or
wind. I discovered the watch on the pedometer was more accurate than my
watch.quickly found water down the old AT intersection, cooked, ate and
bedded down.

I'm back! I did just shy of 12 miles today, after having a "wall" at 10-11
miles. Maybe this will be a shorter hike than I expected.

OrangeBug