[at-l] Maps - Negative stress on the trail.

Jim and Weary,

Reference your emails, both dated 11-24-04, responding to my post.

When I wrote my post, I was thinking of distance hiking on the AT.  I was
not considering either other trails or day hiking.  I readily acknowledge
there are other trails which require maps.

On day hikes, I carry trail maps.  They allow me to consider changing
course, and also to explore areas along the trails.  On distance hikes, I
have taken map sections, cut from an atlas, depicting roads near both sides
of the AT.  The sections provide knowledge of where I am in the ?real world?
and which direction I would take to get to resources.  I always carry a
compass, along with paper and pencil to record directions I?ve taken, should
I need that information.

I asked, ?Where else (other than along the trail you are hiking) are you
going to go??  Jim responded, ?Wherever I want to go,? and added, ?so we'll
have the freedom to go where ?we? want - rather than where a predetermined
trail takes us.?

If you are hiking on the AT and have time pressure to get to a certain
point, where are the ?wherevers? and ?where ?we? want? that you have in
mind?

Jim advises ?... ther ARE circumstances under which it will not work ... on
the AT.?

I don?t think I understand what you mean.  Please advise.

I wrote ?Why should I live in dread anticipating the horrors which lay
ahead?   There
either are horrors ahead or there aren?t.  I will deal with them when we
meet.?

Jim advised, ?With the map, we ?may? be able to avoid those ?horrors?  (like
the swamp, perhaps?)  Without the map, we have no choice and are truly
?clueless on the trail? - even when we find ourselves in the middle of the
swamp.?

Do you bushwhack around undesirable places through which the AT passes?  If
you wish to do so without a map, you obviously won?t have detailed
information provided by a map but you can still bypass obstacles using a
compass.

Jim advises, ?regardless of where you hike, IF you hike, you should learn to
read a map because without that knowledge, you are limited in where you CAN
hike.  And those limits preclude your finding some of the most wondrous
places to hike.?  He adds, ?(I)f you have no map or if you can't read the
map, you may miss the wonders that ARE there?  And, Weary agreed, advising
?... without a map, you may inadvertently bypass some of the wonders ...?

I agree that hikers should learn to read a map.  I would add they need to be
competent with a compass.

Are you guys thinking of particular instances on the AT where you would miss
wonders without a map, even when you carry a trail guide?

Thanks,

Steve