From: "Bob C" <ellen@clinic.net>
To: <pmags@yahoo.com>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] hiking practices

I had a very short experience with the Boy Scouts. Once as I approached age 12
(the minimum age those days) I went on a winter cookout with a local troop. We
went to a wooded area near my home. The challenge was to start a fire with
just one map. A dozen or more kids tried. Only my fire succeeded in staying
lit.

A few weeks later I joined, but the troop dissolved a few months later. When I
tried to join another troop I was told it was "all filled up," so my Scout
career ended. However, I still cook over a wood fire -- both on the trail and
occasionally at home.

Weary