[at-l] hiking practices

>>I wonder how many of the practices that we
>>currently engage in will be deemed hugely
>>inappropriate in the future?

My boyscout troop was not esp. active. It was one of
those troops that, well, did not do much to be honest!
But, it did allow me to go on my first ever "big"
 hiking trip (Mt. Lafayette in NH) and we did do a few
campouts in a local the woods spot in what was a
fairly rural area of RI,. Alas, this area is now
developed as it is on a lake and was "too valuable" to
be used "just for camping".

Anyway...

On these camping trips we would cook over a wood fire.
Each two person (canvas!) tent had their own cook
fire. I cringe when I think of the 10 campfires we all
had to do our cooking over! Can you imagine that
today?

Mags

***I also chuckle at those camping trips. I think of
what a big production it was for me to go a camping
trip for my Mom. She was was so nervous about me being
"in the woods".  The amount of clothes she insisted I
pack for a weekend was amazing! Twenty years later,
I'd hate for her to see what I (don't!) bring with me
on my backpacking trips. :-)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com