[at-l] Re: at-l hiking

What I liked best about Dorothy Laker's accounts were the feeling that  >>I<< could do this. She had a talent of turning her trips into life, something anyone could achieve if they wanted to. Many writers left the impression that a hike was an epic undertaking. Dorothy wrote in a very relaxed, down to earth style. I will never forget her struggle to make
applesauce, or her fear of cows, for instance. And I greatly admire her facility with cookfires.

- Greenbriar

Isn't she the one who slept in a row of concrete pipes one night?  I remember a picture of several pipes and the one the hiker had slept in was pointed out.  I often wonder if I would have the presence of mind to do that and how it might feel.  I, too, loved Dorothy Laker's accounts.

And while I'm here, what stresses me about hiking is doing it alone.  I like having someone whom I trust around, in case I run into someone I don't trust or in case I get into hiking trouble (hypothermic, a fall, panic because I'm lost---I hate being lost---that sort of thing).  Also, in the evening, it's nice to have someone to discuss the day with.

anklebear