[at-l] Big, Big Tub--A Quandary

>"...Another good use for an old
>Bathtub is as a planter in the front yard or as a
>Birdbath, or a water trough

Back in Rhode Island many older gentlemen of Portugese
or Italian extraction have what is known as "Mary on a
half-shell".

An old bathtub is often taken, placed vertically with
the BVM (Blessed Virgin Mary), arms outstretched,
inside. See appears to be blessing the petunias and
geraniums.

My Dad takes care of my Grandmother's house. My late
grandfather's pride and joy was his garden. The
vegtables were fresh and delicious. The flowers,
gorgeous. Dad is keeping up this tradition and making
sure that Grandma's yard is up to the high standards
set by Pop.  Last time I visited Rhody (a  little over
two years ago), naturally went to see Grandma and
check out the yard. Dad had put up a "Mary on a
half-shell"!

Must be genetic. Dad is only 53 yo, but is already
showing signs of being an older Italian fellow. The
placing of "Mary in a half shell" just confirms it.
:-)

Twenty-years from now or so I am sure will have this
urge to plant tomatoes and place the BVM in my yard
among the geraniums.

A nice pic of this concept:

http://snipurl.com/atc7

Mags (who will be visiting Rhody in January)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com