[at-l] RE: Monday Humor

."...The dems are the party of doom and gloom...," laments JBK.

Mind you, I'm not endorsing J. Bryan's cynicism. But tonight as we all arrived for a meeting of our town land trust, I was greeted with, "when did you become a Bush supporter?" Puzzled, I asked what they were talking about. They pointed to the magnetic American flag I had attached to the back of my car before the election in a prominent place among all the Kerry/Edwards and other proper thinking Democratic messages and candidates I had had posted on my rear window. All but the flag had been removed after the election.

My obviously too subtle election message to the world had been that us liberal veterans can also be patriots. But after my land trust greeting, I thought that this country has reached a truly sorry state when our flag becomes the symbol of only one man and of only one party.

BTW our major item of business had been to finally adopt a mission statement, an item of debate for more than a year. Our final choice: "The Phippsburg Land Trust protects and preserves special, natural and wild places in Phippsburg for our children, grandchildren and future generations." I was quite pleased. I thought it a nice positive message. It passed unanimously, though our board spans the political spectrum.

Weary