[at-l] Take a Hike! - WAS Monday Humor that has ceased to be humorous, if it ever was

I agree that this has ceased to be humorous. As the original poster (not poster-child!) of the redneck commentary, my intent was to provide a little humor to the GRITS, BRITS, Southerners, Northerners, and anyone else with a sense of humor on the list.

This has gone further into the usual, ugly political debate than I expected. I for one would like to stop the thread and lets all go TAKE A HIKE! It's raining here and I have to go to work, but I'll be daydream hiking all day...maybe head back to the Smokies or Standing Indian, the two AT sections currently under my belt. Maybe Katahdin or somewhere else I've never been. It's my daydream hike...any suggestions for an itinerary?

BB

Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
To be a Republican one must be 1) registered as such and 2) agree with the
political philosophy of the Republican Party. I quite sure that neither
applies to me. As for rednecks, I grew up in the midst of North Country
rednecks (yes, there are Northern rednecks) and, though I don't believe
that it is inherently bad to be a redneck in the way that they imply it is
bad to be a liberal, I am not one of them either for a variety of reasons
that are irrelevant to the list. I have always been and remain an
independent who judges each candidate and issue on their/it's own merit
without regard to the position of any political party or religion telling
me what I ought to think and how I should vote.

The items on the list are not the exclusive characteristics of either
Republicans or rednecks. They are characteristics of a good and decent
person/friend/neighbor of any stripe, at least as phrased. They are
carefully worded to make them apply to the maximum number of people, i.e.
"You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public
places". It is a fact that I have never protested it but that doesn't imply
that I agree with such displays when they are promulgated with public funds
and displayed in a courthouse or even a public school. Were such a thing to
happen in my county courthouse/school I would protest. While I respect all
religions' codes of behavior as guides to personal conduct *within the
context of that religion*, they do not and should not have the force of
civil law (or even implied force of law) except those that coincidentally
are independently agreed upon by the society at large as in prohibition of
murder, theft and the like. The government's role is to provide civil
order for all citizens and those are rules which contribute to order in
society for the benefit of all regardless of religion (or lack thereof). At
the point where government attempts to establish law based solely on a
religious belief, it is "establishing" a religion and that is
unconstitutional. Your freedom (and your religion) ends where my nose
begins and I have a larger than average nose. :)