[at-l] RE: Broken Wrists

I was going to mention that Jim is probably a great advertisement for
carrying a good first-aid kit <g>....

             "Jim and/or Ginny
             Owen"
             <spiriteagle99@ho                                          To
             tmail.com>                Mark Hudson/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       at-l@backcountry.net
             11/17/2004 01:49                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Broken Wrists

skeeter wrote:
>Do
> > men break their wrists on the AT?
>

>Jim came to the '92 Gathering with a cast on one arm and a bandage on his
>head. I don't remember if that was a broken wrist or where he did it...

Yup - the wrist was broken, but I was in denial and wouldn't admit it was
broken until they x-rayed it after I was back home.  Broke it by doing a
somersault (complete with full pack) off a wet root on Moody Mt.  Spent a
day in Andover, then kept walking.  I don't walk on my wrists.

A lot tougher than the wrist was the toe I broke coming off Fuller Ridge on

the PCT.   More denial.  Finally admitted it was broken when a doctor told
me so in Northern California (1500 miles later).  <G>

But the broken ribs in Colorado and the phlebitis in Montana are hardly
worth mentioning.  <VBG>

Yeah - men DO break various body parts, but some of us aren't bright enough

to even admit it unless those body parts start falling off.  <G>

Walk softly,
Jim