[at-l] Pocketmail experiences on long-distance hikes?

Hi Josh,

I checked out the Treo. It looks cool and nifty but is quite expensive
and also uses rechargable batteries which don't last that long. The
Pocketmail devices take 2 AA which last 30+ hours and I've heard
reports of up to 70 hours of battery life. I am planning on taking an
Ipod and a digital camera and so having a third rechargable
battery/charger is just too much - it will be difficult enough yogiing
charges for two appliances :-). I don't think I'll be bringing a  cell
phone, email contact with people should generally be enough for me.

As for there being many people on the trail who are "anti-tech", well
that's fine. However, I will be hiking my own hike and not allowing
other people's notions of what makes a good hike to get in my vision
of what makes good hike. If I decide to send my iPod home, well then
that will be my decision. Furthermore, I'm hiking the Florida Trail
and I will just feel fortunate to meet another backpacker at all, tech
positive or negative :-). I may make it up to the AT through the
Alabama hookup if I am up for it when the time comes, but given that
this is my first thru-hike of any kind, my present goal is to do the
whole FT, which seems a worthwhile goal to have.

Best,
David