[at-l] Good light inexpensive sleeping bag for a FT thru-hike

Hi David,

While not exactly answering your question, I did want to offer you some more
food for thought...

If you've already worn out one bag, it seems to me that you already know you
really enjoy hiking and backpacking.  That said, rather than looking for an
inexpensive bag that will just need replacing in another year or two, you
may find it worthwhile to buy a more expensive bag.

Higher quality down bags last a lot longer than lower quality.  If you buy a
$150 dollar down bag now, chances are you'll need another quite soon.  If
you buy a $300+ bag, it may last a lot longer than two $150 bags - and
retain more loft for longer duration.

While down fill ratings are somewhat subjective on a company to company
basis, the difference between any 600 fill bag and a 800+ fill bag will play
out in the long run regardless of manufacturer.  The 600 fill bag has more
feathers and will lose its loft much more quickly than the 800 fill bag.

For the most part, I find sleeping bags really are one of those items where
you get what you pay for.

One more thing to consider with regard to temperature ratings...  I believe
some ratings are "survival" ratings and some are "comfort" ratings.  You may
have to account for this while making choices between brands.  Also, loft is
probably the best comparison between bags from different manufacturers.

If you're not familiar with the brands and models, you may want to read some
reviews.  BackpackGearTest.org has quite a selection of reviews.  You can
find the sleeping bag reviews at:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/

Anyway, if you want to look into any of the higher end bags, some of the
manufacturers to consider are Western Mountaineering, Feather Friends,
Stephenson, and Marmot.  Be careful looking at Marmot bags.  They have both
lower end down fill bags and higher end.  This list is not inclusive and  I
have no personal knowledge of any of these brands.  FWIW, I currently use a
Big Agnes bag.

Like I said...  just something to chew on.

Happy hiking,

Mara
Stitches, AT99

P.S.  Please pardon me if you've already heard this, but have you been in
touch with the Florida Trail Association folks?  The trail was hit hard
during this past hurricane season and hundreds of miles have (had?) been
closed off.  Some of the coastal trail has been washed away completely.
While I am sure you would be able to do the road walk section in the south,
you may find a thruhike to be impossible this year.  Of course, if you're in
the neighborhood and the trail's impassable, they can probably use an extra
mainainer.  ;-)  Anyway, I just wanted to pass along a head's up in case
this was news to you...  -MF

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor