[at-l] Politics and Religion

Steve says: Very few of us become passionate when long threads develop discussing counter tops of dreadful color, professional or college sports, cars, or several other topics which have nothing to do with the A.T., hiking, camping, equipment, or the outdoors.  We seem quite tolerant.  Many enjoy the observations, banter and exchanges.

There's the word that's the problem: passion.  This list is like sitting around the fire ring in front of a shelter at night getting to know the other hikers on the trail with you.  You talk about trail topics, mostly, but a few other things pop up---green counter tops, what cars work best for everyday use as well as for getting to trailheads, what sports teams you might support, what kind of dog you have, things like that.

When you talk about politics, and/or religion, you're getting close to the bone.  Tempers flare, folks get riled up.  This is not a good thing on the list.  You wouldn't call someone an idiot to his face if you had to share a shelter with him that night.  But on the list, people call each other names all the time.  You can discuss green counter tops without getting all bent out of shape about it because you don't have a whole lot of investment in them.  You're passionate about politics and religion, so you do anything possible to "win" your argument.  Life isn't like that.  There is no right and wrong to politics and religion.

In our case, since we don't talk about religion, what we've replaced it with are the Environment and the Original Intentions of Benton McKaye.  These are things that some people get so passionate about that it drives the rest of us away from them.  You can feel the winds of passion blowing off the computer screen.  That's why we need to avoid these subjects.

You've been carrying a heavy pack all day.  You've dealt with the burdens of the world in your job.  Traffic was awful, and you had a miserable day.  Your own dog bit you.  Lighten up here.  Save your passion for the hike.

anklebear