Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:05:56 EST
From: Slyatpct@aol.com
Subject: Re: [at-l] Pacific Crest Trail
To: at-l@backcountry.net

In a message dated 11/10/2004 3:44:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
camojack@comcast.net writes:

> That may be, but it runs through mostly red counties:
> http://www.hannity.com/img/usa_election_map.jpg
> http://www.pcta.org/largemap.asp
> (Check for yourselves...)

Yeah, yeah.  I've been told several times all ready.  Should I have put a
wink at the end instead of a smile?

Better?   From rtilkens4359 at comcast.net  Fri Nov 12 06:37:24 2004
From: rtilkens4359 at comcast.net (rtilkens4359@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 06:46:37 2004
Subject: [at-l] Veteran's Day Hike

First, i'd like to thank all of those who have served or are currently
serving our country.  My son just came back recently from Germany.

A side benefit of Veteran's day resulted in me being "paid" for hiking
a part of the AT. Yesterday, i left home in MD at 4:50 a.m., arrived
at Bake Oven Knob Rd, and departed for Lehigh Gap at 8:01 a.m.

In my younger days, i used to be a caver, a.k.a. "spelunking", although
this has a pejorative connotation to those in the caving community.
In the caving world, there was a phrase "bouncing a pit".  This
referred to descending into, and then out of (necessarily in that order)
a large vertical opening in the earth. As i was walking, it occurred to
me that i was perhaps "bouncing" Lehigh Gap, because
of necessity, i walked down into, and then out of Lehigh Gap.

I am a section hiker (by circumstances, not by choice), and this was
my last section in PA.  I knew that there would probably be
"some rocks" along the trail, and was not disappointed.  Slowly,
over the years, i have abandoned my Vasque Sundowners and gone
with a lighter, more comfortable "trail hiking shoe".  After some practice,
although i could be deluding myself, i perceive that i have become somewhat
better at dodging the PA rocks, although i couldn't help thinking about
the "Barefoot Sisters" . . . .

Turned out to be a beautiful day for hiking, and a number of day hikers
and a few section hikers were seen on the trail!  Bake Oven Knob was
more palatable in November than described, and my theory that
Lehigh Gap South could NOT be as difficult as Lehigh Gap North
turned out to be correct.

Feeling of nostalgia began to overcome me, as i realized that i was
completing PA.  Of course, i may be somewhat biased for PA, having
attended 3 years school in the late 60's near Port Clinton, jumping off the
"rock" into the Schukyll River, Pinnacles, etc. IMHO PA has some of
the best AT - long, relative flat stretches, with an occasional "dip" into
a gap (at least a "dip" relative to the descent in and out of the Tye
River). Lastly, day trips are possible.

PA AT - i think i may have to do it again some days.

rtilkens ~ 1052.5/2174