[at-l] OT Alaskan Oil Drilling

At 06:09 PM 11/11/2004 -0500, J Bryan Kramer wrote:
>Gee 12000 million barrels divided by 20 doesn't come out to 13 hrs in my
>math. You must be using new math. Infact the wells would produce for over 25
>years at 1.5 MBD
>
>BK

Bryan, you are a day late and several billion barrels short in pointing out
Weary's math error which (I suspect) resulted from him misreading all three
figures as being 'billions' when in fact the consumption figure was
'millions'. In any case his calculation was total supply divided by daily
use to determine how long the US would survive on that oil to see how long
it would last if it were all that was available.

Calculating the output as a percentage of current use, the median estimate
of the production would produce 800,000 BPD for about 28 years but that
production level represents only 3.92% of our *CURRENT* daily consumption.
That assumes of course that consumption does not rise in the 10 years to
get the oil flowing and the 28 years that it is producing *and* (a very big
AND) that the median estimate of the amount of oil is accurate. There is
also a low estimate of 590 million BPD production exhausting the total
supply in a bit over 15 years. So what's that amount to?  1.9% of our
current daily consumption? There's a high estimate too but would you bet
your pension on it? I wouldn't.

I think it's high time we looked seriously at conservation and
alternatives. We should have done so in the '70s but I guess we (both as
consumers and voters) are slow learners when it comes to our dependence on
oil. Now if we would all just walk more that would be a start and it would
give us time to ponder the problem. :)