[at-l] Hybrid cars.

Walt,

Reference your post, dated 11-10-04, under the Subject Heading ?red, white
and blue.?

I changed the Subject heading since the topic seems to have drifted from
that wretched political stuff.  Heh, heh, heh.   ; - )   Wink, wink, nudge,
nudge.  At long last, we are back "On Topic."

I know a woman (not in a Biblical sense) who drives a Toyota hybrid (I?ve
forgotten the model name).  She describes herself as a living commercial for
hybrids.  She has had no problem with her car.  She loves it.  Her husband
loves it.  Her children love it.  She has every intention to buy another.

I drive a car until it?s junk.  I bought a Volvo new, and have driven it
320,000 miles.  The paint has developed ?leopard spots? on the hood and
trunk lid.   The rubber and plastic parts have become brittle and are
breaking off.  The interior light hangs by its wiring, swinging back and
forth as I drive.  The radio doesn?t work.  The radio antenna no longer goes
up and down.  It leaks.  The sun roof no longer closes reliably.  IT DRIVES
GREAT.  I have even driven it off-road for miles at a time (this is not a
good idea).  If I had purchased an American car instead of this one, I would
have spent an additional $100,000 on replacement American cars by now, not
including repair bills (which I have had very little of) and mechanical
difficulty (one broken fan belt, one loose hose clamp).

My question is, what is the replacement battery going to cost for the hybrid
car?  No one has revealed the answer.  I would not feel responsible, given
my driving habit, purchasing a hybrid without some understanding of what I
would need to pay (or how much depreciation I would have to withstand) when
the battery reaches a certain age.

Steve