[at-l] red, white and blue

At 07:38 AM 11/10/2004 -0500, Suzie wrote:

> [...]

The throw away question is a good one. My opinion is to use it until it's
dead but the metal would probably get recycled if you junk it. I know some
models are efficient. My wife drives a Subaru that gets 25MPG <>. My
reference to SUVs was in reference to the car companies building ever
larger, inefficient models because the CAFE standards make an exception for
"trucks". Calling a Lincoln Navigator a truck is a joke, and not a good
one. When I take my wife's car in for service I cruise the lot. The dealer
sells Chevy, GMC and Subaru. Roughly half the vehicles on the lot are
trucks, mostly BIG trucks, what they like to call "full size". The window
stickers tell me they get 16MPG. Many of my neighbors drive these things to
such rugged places as the post office and the corner store. 99% of the full
size pickups I see are carrying only passengers in the cab. The bed is empty.

But that was just a cheap shot example in the sense that it was easy. There
are a zillion ways to save resources if we look around. I like Shane's
question about every other streetlight. Or... ask if we really need them.
One of my life goals is to move out of town to get away from the
streetlights so it's easier to watch the Northern Lights and such.