[at-l] red, white and blue

When I sold my minivan it 253,000 miles on it and it
routinelt got 21 miles to the gallon.  Not bad, but the
pollution that it put out was horrible.  I sold the car to a
junk yard for $500.  They essentially stripped it and
recycled most of it (it had a brand new battery, and the kept
the fuel pump, and alternator).  Got a newer used car that
was a lot cleaner and gets 28 mpg.

Grey Owl

mileage and
>cleaner
>> emissions than my '85 Chevy S-10 got.  It sure beats the
crap out of my
>> neighbors '72 Caddy...
>
>Yeah, but what about him just throwing that Caddy away?
What about our
>landfills?
>
>It's a question I'm struggling with right now - my minivan
is now 10 years
>old.  It has 200,000 miles on it.  When I bought it, I had
kids at home and
>almost always had a full, or near full, load of people in
it.  Now I'm
>driving around in it alone.
>
>I know I could buy something that gets better gas mileage.
But what about
>the other environmental issue of just throwing away things
that still have
>useful life?  Is it better to keep driving this thing now
until it finally
>won't run at all?  (It still runs ok).
>
>And what about the needs I have as far as winter travel?
I'd love one of
>the new hybrids, but - - can it handle the Notches in winter
here in the
>Whites?  (I live uphill on a dirt road in the Pinkham Notch
area (5 miles
>from the AMC center there) and regularly have to drive
through Crawford and