[at-l] Shopping for a new digital camera

> Recently attended a Digital Camera Introduction Class at the Botanical
> Gardens and the teacher said that Alkaline Batteries would only get a person
> approx.
> ten pictures.

This is one of those meaningless generalizations. It really depends on the
camera.

>I had some Radio Shack extra strength (not the strongest) and
> I was on # 64 and still shooting.  They cost a bit more but they give more.
> Rechargeable Batteries are good if there is a place to recharge them (Hostels,
> Motels, etc.) but if one is away from civilization the Radio Shack batteries
> work well and are not that heavy.  Bring extras!

If your camera takes AA batteries, your best bet for a long-distance hike is
to use Lithium AA cells. At $10 for 4 of them, there is a bit of
sticker-shock, but they easily last 5-6 times longer than Alkaline AA cells,
and they are less than half the weight (woo-hoo -- ultralight batteries!).

Some cameras which take 2-AA cells can also use a special lithium battery
which fits in the same space, but they cost about $10 each, which is twice
as much as lithium AA cells, and in my experience, they don't last twice as
long.

If your camera takes a proprietary rechargeable battery, take a spare
charged battery, and either carry the charger, or mail it in your bounce
box. Some cameras can be fitted with an accessory grip that takes AA
batteries to replace the internal battery, but that adds weight and bulk.

Ken