[at-l] Shopping for a new digital camera

> I *don't* want a bazillion pixels.  I'm a point and shoot camera
> user.  No fancy features - zooming and turning the flash on
> or off are really all I do.
>
> I would like a screen to view the pictures, too.
>
> With those requirements, what do you suggest?

Nikon Coolpix 3200. Takes 2 AA  batteries (rechargeables at home, lithiums
on the trail), and it's very compact and lightweight.  Fully automatic
operation, nice photos. I carry a 3100 (previous model) on the trail.

You can get one at B+H Photo with an extra 256MB memory card for $200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s
ku=336971&is=REG

For a long hike, I would carry several cards, and rotate them home for
downloading (or stop at Wal-Marts along the way, and burn the photos to a CD
and mail the CD home, then re-use the card AFTER checking with my support
person to make sure they got the CD.)

Ken