[at-l] Did Anybody Else Get This One?

At 11:53 PM 11/3/2004 -0500, Leslie Booher wrote:
>This is from a Spanish newspaper, Indymedia Argentina - Rosario,Santa
>Fe,Argentina.   It came over the Google News Alert today.  Very
>disturbing.  anklebear
>
>Accused child molester completing Appalachian trail hike
>por William Darnell Tuesday November 02, 2004 at 10:49 PM
>bill.darnell@nycmail.com
>
>   An amputee who was accused of molesting his three year old son is about
> ready to complete his Appalachian trail hike.
>
>Harpers Ferry, WV (API)
>Scott Rogers, 36, of Washburn, Tn. will complete his hike of the
>Appalachian Trail on Friday, November 12, 2004 at Harpers Ferry, W.V. Upon
>completion, Rogers will become one of many hikers who have failed to hike
>the entire distance of the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail boasts
>a length of 2,178 miles, and spans through 14 states.
>
>Rogers, who began his hike in March, encountered a myriad of experiences
>while on the trail. Some of his experiences include being bitten by a
>rattlesnake (on his prosthetic leg), aiding in the rescue of 2 lost
>hikers, and being rescued from Mount Katahdin in Maine via U.S.Army
>Blackhawk helicopter. He's hiked through sweltering heat, bone-chilling
>cold, snow, sleet, and rain. He's seen able-bodied hikers abandon their
>dreams when the going got tough, and he's hiked through all 4 seasons.
>He's had to leave the trail and return home when complications arose, but
>always returned to the trail in order to pursue his goal. His perseverence
>has paid off.
>
>In 1995, Scott Rogers admitted to social workers working for Minirth
>ministries that he molested his three year old son. Rogers also admitted
>he has a history of being abused and molested himself. Rogers later
>recanted his testimony and a Georgia district attorney determined there
>wasn't enough evidence to bring the charges to trail. Rogers then sued
>Minirith Ministries and received a one million dollar settlement.
>
>Rogers disability comes from a suicide attempt by shooting himself in the
>leg. Rogers receives approxamately $4,000 a month in tax free disability
>benefits for himself and his six children.
>
>When asked about what the hike meant to him, Rogers responded "My success
>isn't about finishing, although I am happy that I will finish. It's about
>having the courage to attempt the impossible." Rogers expects to hike into
>Harpers Ferry somewhere during the mid-afternoon hours, and welcomes any
>and all who wish to be there to congratulate him on finishing a hike with
>historical significance.
>
>Charges are still pending against Rogers in Milledgeville, Georgia to a
>second person claiming he molested their son.

Like OB I'd like to know more before passing judgement and like Felix I'm
confused by the "failed" VS "completed" verbiage. That part is answered on
his web journal at <http://www.onelegwonder.com/page2.html>. This is the
same guy we cheered when we learned of his attempt. According to an article
at <http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/article.php/14378> his artificial limb is
the result of a hunting accident, not a suicide attempt. The reference to
"finishing a hike with historical significance" is a bit of puffery. He's
not the first disabled person to complete a thru, or even the first amputee
<http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=3897&messageid=1080318529>.
Historic for the use of a computerized prosthesis perhaps by the
achievement is his, not the leg's.