  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Leslie Booher

  From all the news reports I read on the story, the bear was carrying the baby off when he was scared by the shouts of those who were seeing the scene.  The baby died when the bear dropped her as he ran off into the woods.  The baby was not attacked.

  The baby WAS attacked, just not eaten.  Were I dragged from my stroller by a bear, which was subsequently stoned and dropped me, I'd feel that I'd been attacked.  Were I the baby's parents who watched in horror as the bear snatched the baby, I'd feel that my child had been attacked.  And the result was the same as many attacks: death.  I know what you meant, but the word seems to have been wrong.  anklebear